Friday, July 8, 2011

No penguins here, but still Happy Feet

I recently went to visit one of my besties, Alicia, who has the most adorable daughter named Adelynn. Well, the second I walked in their house, 9-month old Addy had the most apparent, yet cutest look of curiosity on that baby face of hers. She was in awe, in awe of my feet. She not only stared at them but she didn't hesitate to touch them either! Addy's curiosity is usually the same reaction I receive from most people when I'm wearing my Vibram Five Finger shoes.
I used to think to myself when I'd see people wearing them, "hmmm, maybe it's like a hippy thing?" (for lack of a better word. No offense to the tie-dyed peeps out there, i love ya!) But really, I never understood the reason for them. Why would someone wear those funky looking glove things on their feet when Nike makes awesome, comfy-cushiony shoes!? Well, I finally gave into the Five Finger madness and experienced them for myself!
My personal trial with the VFF's:
OUCH! (the first few weeks) 
My toes were very sore the first few weeks. My calves were also sore. 
On a scale of 1-10, 1 being the least sore and 10 being the most sore:
week ONE = 8
week TWO = 6
week THREE = 4
After Week FOUR I had adapted and was no longer sore :)



What kind of activities do I do while wearing them?
I do cardio (running indoor/outdoor, StairMaster, spin.), and full body weight lifting with my Vibrams on. 
Difference in muscle appearance?
I did see an increase of definition in my calves! I'm not complaining, calves are sexy! 
Are they comfortable? 
Well after wearing regular shoes for our entire lives, the obvious answer is NO. 
But, you do adapt. I really don't think they ever feel completely normal, but I'm almost two months into wearing them and they are no longer "uncomfortable." 
Are they hard to put on? 
Yes. I have the Velcro-strapped ones. And I read that you're supposed to put them on starting with your pinky toe, then in order, to your big toe being last. The salesman also suggested that. Ummm, if that is correct, I really don't know what is wrong with ME because I'm still having issues putting them on that way. I kind of just wiggle the toes in from the big toe FIRST and pinky toe LAST! It takes a while, but I eventually get those little piggies in their snug! (watch the video I posted below and the guy says BIG toe FIRST, he knows what's up!)
How much do they cost?
$$$
Ok, so they're not very comfortable at first, they're hard to put on, they're expensive and they look weird. Why am I wearing them?? 


"The typical human foot is an anatomical marvel of evolution with 26 bones, 33 joints, 20 muscles and hundreds of sensory receptors, tendons and ligaments. Like the rest of the body, to keep our feet healthy, they need to be stimulated and exercised correctly."


The Benefits: Running/Walking in your Vibrams is just like running/walking barefoot. Running barefoot can strengthen tiny muscles in your feet, ankles and legs that running in ordinary shoes can't, which may decrease running-related injuries. Think about how much pain, stress and pressure we already put on our feet. We tend to neglect our feet, because no one really ever looks at them, unless we have a flashy pair of heels on or a sweet pedicure. So let's start paying a little more attention to them, they deserve it :) (you'll get these amazing calve/leg muscles you never knew you had, watch!!) 


The Drawbacks: Many people switch to barefoot running too quickly, and they end up injuring themselves. It must be a slow transition. For 20+ years we have have been running around in soled shoes. Trying to mimic the bare foot can be quite a change for our feet! 


Britaña's Two-Sense: They are a bit pricey, but I'm sure the Nike Shox you're wearing are too. I live by this saying, as seen in previous posts: You get what you pay for. And when it comes to polishing up a healthy lifestyle, these shoes are by far an investment rather than an expense. Stop in and talk to a salesperson and they'll probably be able to convince you a little better than I can! 

This video should give you a boost of confidence in purchasing a pair for yourself 


Check out their website to read about the different types, retailers and pricing!


Last but certainly not least ladies: YES, unfortunately they will chip the pedicure. I know I'm being brutally honest. But the good definitely outweighs the bad!!
 So spend the money on the Vibrams instead of the Minx pedi. 


Make your feet your friend.  
Take care of your body.  It's the only place you have to live.  


God Bless & Stay Tuned....
Britaña





If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to your mountain, "MOVE!" and it  WILL move... and NOTHING will be  impossible for YOU!              -Matthew 17:20



                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment